Ever had your lawn mower shut down in the middle of a mow? If you’re a perfectionist, this is pretty much a nightmare scenario. Not only do you have an uneven lawn, but you have to deal with a faulty machine and go back later to fix the grass (and the lack of balance in the universe).
When lawn mowers fail, the big question is: repair or replace? Let’s go through some scenarios for each option, as well as other considerations to help with your decision.
When To Replace Your Lawn Mower
Replacing your lawn mower is almost always a bigger expense than repairing it, so this is often a financial decision for many. If you do have the ability to invest in a new lawnmower, it’s worth weighing the pros and cons of replacement and repair. There are times when repair isn’t an option, however. Here are a few signs that it’s time to replace your lawn mower:
- There is a major issue with an important component like the engine or hydraulics
- You use your mower regularly and can’t afford downtime waiting for repair
- The lawn mower is five years old or older
- You don’t have the features and functionality you desire
- The overall quality of your mows has declined
Basically, if you are going to have to keep spending money on repairs and maintenance for your lawn mower, a smarter investment might be going with a new model.
When To Repair Your Lawn Mower
The good news is that many minor lawn mower issues can be repaired and lawn mower repair companies can complete them quickly. That being said, some issues are too great or complex for repair and require replacement. Here are some examples of when repairing your lawn mower is most ideal:
- There is an issue with a less-important/less-expensive component of your mower
- You don’t use your mower regularly and can afford to wait for repair
- You have a newer or more expensive model you don’t want to replace yet
- You like the mower in general, along with its features, feel and function
- The mower is high quality or a brand name you like and you don’t want to just get rid of it
If you’re interested in lawn mower repair or replacement, contact the team at Classic Turf Equipment and we’ll be more than happy to help you decide what’s best for you.